Saturday, March 14, 2009

I wanna dance.

I exist because my parents loved to dance. They saw each other groovin to the music from across the room and the rest is history.

Their love and natural talent for dancing has been passed down to me. And baby, I dance more than you know.

Rocking out on furniture has been my guilty pleasure since forever. As a child I twirled on every surface but the floor. As a teenager I was grinding on every platform Delaware Ave had to offer. In college, I bounced to the beat on my bed. A few years ago, my hips didn't lie on bar tops. Now? Barely ever. But I need to start shakin it again like its money cause rent's due next week.

Dancing has always been like a natural Prozac for me. Pair the perfect song about what affects me with some rhythmic motions and watch the sadness fade. I commonly prescribe myself two Whitney tracks with a pants free bailar-athon to feel better in the morning. Right now I'm trying to chase the blues away that come from living off the government rather than myself – but it's hard finding a song to self medicate with.

By watching my shadow shapeshift in Rorschach-like patterns across a wall to match my body expressing itself I can analyze how I really feel. And in a very Peter Pan turn of events I feel I've lost my shadow and need the perfect melody help me catch it and sew it back on.

There are a million ballads about mending a broken heart that have a great beat. But with all due respect to Tom Petty, (I won't back down), songs about being downtrodden are usually too slow to unleash my inner Bo Jangles. I need lyrics and a tempo that I can let loose to.

On a related note, I successfully rose to the challenge of casting couples and using a Z-1 Hi Def camera to film their Realtors for the BBC. High off of that achievment, I went on another job interview in NYC for a position I was so sure of landing that I missed celebrating my brothers 30th birthday party in Philadelphia for. I was told I would know by the end of that day (Friday) if I was starting Monday or not. It's Sunday. I want to dance.

I was born to move. So not dancing is like going against Nature. And with the ailing environment, Mamma needs all the help she can get. So who wants to help save the Earth? Let's show the world we can dance.

2 comments:

  1. I love to dance too...American Boy by Estelle & Kanye West ALWAYS gets me moving! Try that one out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to dance also, lady...let's go out one night sans men and dance our butts off.

    ReplyDelete