Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Estoy Aburrido

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
 
I am so bored.
 
And now that severance has given way to unemployment I cannot afford to mess around and do fun things with all my free time.  No more staycations filled with Broadway shows and 5 hour bike rides.  No more trekking to foreign beaches and meeting new people on roads paved in molasses.  That's not fiscally possible if I want to afford COBRA, rent, a metro card (when necessary), gym membership, food, social life and bridesmaid dresses.
 
Don't be jealous because I'm not stuck in a fluorescent lit office all day.  I'm full time job hunter.  I'm chained to my charged phone and laptop - which is frightfully showing signs of old age.  Tasks include constantly scanning websites that post openings and take them down soon after due to an overwhelming response to their ad.  You need to get your resume in there before they decide they have seen enough.  And - if an employer responds via e-mail you have about an hour to get back to them before they decide to bring someone else in. Don't even get me started on the Mandy.com resume uploader...
 
Sensing my weariness yet?
 
Imagine going to work everyday and not getting acknowledged for anything you do.  I research, draft, revise and send letters nonstop (between coffee break walks) just waiting to hear back from somebody. It's a thankless job and I'm just hoping to get noticed.  I'm about to send a dead worm in a white envelope to a production company along with my business card.  Worked for Maggie Gyllenhal.
 
But it's not just getting feedback that I yearn for.  I miss being involved in social office activities like discussing professional sports.  I used to know who was injured or traded to my favorite teams and I could share that information with other people - who hated my teams and wished them physical harm.  Still, it's much easier to care about something when you have people to share it with.  Last year I had two Superbowl boxes and a March Madness bracket.  This year I have Danno texts (keep em comin) and watch Sportscenter alone on the treadmill.
 
On craigslist, I noticed a fresh faced and already frustrated college grad that is offering a $400 finders fee to someone who gets her an interview that leads to a job.  I think that is a GREAT idea. I'm currently trying to save my cash, but if anybody reading this has a job lead that turns into a paycheck for me, I'll compensate you with a drawing of a spider.

One side project I've been busying myself with is the Astoria Film Group (AFG). It's a random group of locals that want to have fun and stay creative. We make the mini projects in our minds come to life while networking and learning new camera, editing and lighting skills. I've been named Casting Director of the group. So if you want to get some high quality footage for your reel for free, lemme know.
 
So despite not hearing back about anything and only talking to people via IM/Google messenger I'm keeping busy.  But it gets frustrating, old and boring quickly.  If you ask me what I did all day I'll probably say 'same old' rather than throwing my hands up in defeat.  Because even if I wrote 29 cover letters and created a new design for my professional website without any acknowledgement,  I would still like to think I made some noise.

3 comments:

  1. Does CSA ever help with job listings/postings? If anyone should be helping out their fellow peeps, it's CSA. What do I know so you can just tell the loud mouthed blonde in the corner to STFU! The Astoria Film Group sounds like a great idea and a fun thing to do...glad you have an outlet to keep your creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CSA does help! But most of their projects are either in LA (remember when I was an hr late meeting you at Brass Monkey because I accidentally applied to a soap opera casting position in cali?) or you need skills which I'll be learning through the AFG :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog and its exactly how i am feeling having been made redundant. Time to enjoy the "free" time but definitely cannot do anything that is free!

    Its nice (for want of a better word) that there is someone else in the same situation who is missing the social activity of work and just seem to be churning out the cvs to try and get some kind of call back. Estoy aburrido!

    ReplyDelete