Tuesday, June 16, 2009

BUBBLE GIRL

The unemployment rate has moved up from 8.9% to 9.4%. In an investigative report, a 30ish journalist applied for a wide variety of over 300 jobs. He landed 8 interviews, 2 callbacks, zero jobs.

Do those statistics scare me? Heck no they don't! They surround me like an invisible bubble and shield me when people ask innocent, well meaning questions. Necessary, because when people say:

"Really, no job leads at all?" "You are so talented, why haven't you found work yet?" "Can't you even get babysitting or waitressing temp jobs in the meantime?"

All I hear is:

"Really? Why haven't you found work? Can't you even get temp job?”

It stings like a bee, and I'm having the worst reaction towards the people I love the most. Even my own body is agitating me. I'm facing serious pressure from my sinuses. My eyes and throat are itching for more than just success.

Other ailments/Remedies:


STUFFY HEAD: Occurring when I cross paths with ragweed or the comment - "can't you waitress in the meantime?"

Hosting at Chili's in State College on a Football weekend? Been there. Waiting swing shifts at Pizzeria Uno's on the Upper West Side? Done that. And I may do it again. But I'm not in a rush to. Why? It's perfectly respectable to graduate college and serve salad till you finally get your "real job." However, after successfully coordinating a team of 22 casting assistants around the world, the thought of refilling sodas takes on a whole new meaning. It's not just about staying afloat till something better comes along, it's a blow to your ego.

RX: I would take a big dose of humility just to get the feeling of actually earning my paycheck back - but I'm making more on unemployment than I did on tips. So until the government stops sending me checks or it's an under the table gig, I'm not taking your order.

CONGESTION: The job market is being flooded with resumes, often for positions which aren't actually hiring. My jam packed page of experience went seemingly unnoticed. To help stand out of the crowd, I enlisted the help of seasoned pros to breathe some life into my moldy old resume. Sizzle words now litter my two paged “brag sheet.” It's funky but professional format at sends a clear message that I am the perfect fit for a job. And yes, it does change slightly depending on what job I apply for. Industries may be different but skills transfer! Still no signs of life from the other side though...

RX: I'm also trying to find opportunities from companies before they ask for help. I've been in the industry long enough to identify a problem before it happens and offer my skills in advance.

HIVES: I'm breaking out, trying to network as much as possible. I mostly only encounter other pink slippers at these events. It's very cathartic to share battle stories with them, but unless I end up brainstorming it's just another rash move in a dispiriting job hunt.

RX: Still creating a buzz for myself by being a social bee - attending conferences filled with people who are getting paychecks in the fields I want to work in but no little about (writing, all types of writing). I can go as a volunteer or get some cash for helping at check in.

As you can see, I'm trying to think outside the bubble. But I'm so much more than a statistic. Job hunting is a large part of my life, but not the only part. It can be painful to discuss it with friends. But other questions like “How is your Spanish?” “Why is Walt special?” “Ride your bike anywhere fun lately?” are easy to swallow and help me to breathe a little bit easier.

4 comments:

  1. Cara, I can't say it enough--your writing is so fresh and really creative. I keep telling myself "this too shall pass" and as eye-rolling inducing as that is, it somehow always makes me feel better. Dan is about to go insane since he can't collect unemployment and is also jobless. This economy suuuuuuuuuuuucks turtle ballz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Stef's profile, love the writing. I've sent the link to my cousin who is facing a similar world, and I think it's been sufficiently cathartic for her. Best of luck to you and all others in the 9.4%

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! Do you have a perscription for that look of condscension in people's eyes? Or some way to get rid of my sister's belief that I'm living off the government?

    ReplyDelete