Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Load of ...?

A bird crapped on my face yesterday while I was pedaling through the last stretch of a bike n' brainstorm session with Stacey Burgay. Half of it hit my helmet with a subtle smack. The rest splattered on my cheek and shirt. There's a stain that's not coming out.

Thankfully, I was a few yards from a public rest stop to wash it off in. I was raised to believe that bird poop is supposed to be good luck.... on cars. I was a moving vehicle at the time though, so we'll see what happens.

With "good" omens occurring few and far between I would like to think that I make my own luck. I reluctantly ditch fun plans for networking events. I stay up late writing for two blogs and creative contests with cash prizes. I take the time to get in touch with old contacts and scour job boards in hope of impressing new ones.

Waking up at a 9-5ers hours and starting the day off at the gym is another tactic I have employed to get employed. An evil truth is that sleeping until 10am does nothing but keep you unproductive. Rather than being lazy, I get the sweat session out of the way so I can focus on the rest of my to do list for the day. It also helps me to feel like I have already accomplished something while applying for entry-level jobs with low salaries/titles but room to grow.

I would like to think that I am one of the hardest working people in the business of not being in business. But if a force greater than myself is what decides if I ever work again... well I hope it realizes that I have 6 wedding gifts to pay for and shows some mercy. Seriously though, I would probably have watched all of Lost 3x's and average 11 hrs of sleep a night if I knew the outcome of my career quest was out of my hands.

But just like Jacob said to Ben, "you have a choice." (Linus is such a pawn!). My decision is that believing in fate and luck alone is too passive. That is why I am eager to set an effective chain of events in motion by constantly putting myself out there. Because opportunities, unlike bird droppings, don't just fall out of the sky.

1 comment:

  1. In the south, it's totally good luck to be directly shat on by a bird! So there's good things coming your way!! I truly believe it. Team Cara all the way!

    ReplyDelete