Thursday, February 5, 2009

Serenity Now!

Times are tough. People are desperate. Thanks to my quest for a new job, I'm learning just how employers are taking advantage of that desperation.

The Film and Television industry is a tricky beast my friends. You can get called at 9pm for a job that starts at 5am the next day. Positive word of mouth and perseverance will get you everything. Obscureness and passivity will get you nothing.

When all your contacts run dry, so begins the tri-daily job site dance. Everyone plays favorites with certain sites, but mine goes a little something like this: Media-match.com, Mandy.com, realitystaff.com, entertainmentcareers.net, mediabistro.com, craigslist.com.

Craigslist/gig/crew stalkers such as myself are familiar with the helpful posts about who NOT to work for. There are companies out there that will try to use you for free in return for a bad lunch and a reel. At least those guys are honest. Many companies will make you work consecutive 16 hour days and then not pay you at all.

I prefer when companies are upfront about their compensation before you sign on to work for them. This week I discovered something new... the employment bait and switch.

It works like so - You see a posting for something you are slightly unqualified for. You apply to it anyway, noting in your cover letter that you can rise to the occasion and are a quick learner. Sensing your eagerness to try something new, they write back that... well, for a better effect I'll let you read the exchange for yourself. Names and companies have been changed for privacy sake (curious? E-mail me and I'll tell you on the low).

Hey girl!

We received your resume for the casting assistant position at Art Vandelay Casting and Art would love to meet with you for an interview as a possible intern instead, if that's okay with you. If you are available on Tuesday, please e-mail us back as soon as possible...


I wrote back:

Hi Mulva,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am a fan of Art Vandelay's work from Rochelle, Rochelle to Sack Lunch. However, due to my experience ranging from interning on a national talk show to coordinating two global casting efforts, I can only accept paying positions at this time.

As I said in my resume, I'm a quick learner and a very hard worker. I'm eager to break into scripted casting and would still appreciate the opportunity to meet with him to discuss the casting assistant position. Please let me know if he has time in his schedule to speak with me as I hope to benefit the company in the future....


Times may be tough but I'm no longer the cow that gives it's milk away for free. I've cast the world and won't sell myself short when I know what I am capable of. I'm still hoping to meet with 'Art' though, because as a very wise woman (Jen Kovel) once said (like, 4 minutes ago) “it never hurts to meet with someone.” Let's hope this time isn't the exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment