Monday, May 18, 2009

Wait for It....

I vowed I would never do it again - putting a tray in my hand loaded with appetizers, hoping that if I gave my 110% people would tip me 25.  But there I was, dressed in a button down black shirt as if I were in mourning for the days of a disposable income.
 
After you can finally say "I'm unemployed" without shame it's only a matter of time before other pride barriers begin to crumble.  Head Coordinator positions non-existent, you consider being an assistant.  An intern.  A volunteer.  As it turned out, I couldn't afford to serve the public as a volunteer, so now I'm just serving the public - one pulled BBQ slider at a time.
 
The event I served at was a Wall Street fund raiser for St. Judes.  It was held at Marquee, and the attendees were well dressed men who seemed to be oblivious to the economy crumbling around them.  The women were all skinny, pretty, fashionable, probably intelligent - but not enough to notice the well dressed men plotting how to hook up with them by the end of the night.  I have never been in their world before.  It was like mine with more Grey Goose.

I wish I had a sign on my back that read – laid off in December, still looking – so that I could act as a cautionary tale circulating throughout the indulgent night. But it was the sick kids of Saint Jude's that the gathering was for. Their struggles put mine to shame.

I doubt anyone would have noticed a sign though. Most of the attendees were really tall. People saw the food I balanced with a straight arm above my head rather than my up do.  However, Garrett, founding 405er/giant was also working the crowd.  REALLY working it.  He was able to schmooze face to face with the brokers, holding the tasty platters at waist height while making new contacts, even getting tipped an extra $20. I hope shorter people are at the next group I cater to so I can mingle face to face rather than mouth to kneecap. 
 
Since I had fun, I've looked into more ways to wait.  I got this gig by networking.  (See, those events really do work!)  Last month I met two 405ers, who, after being let go in the same week decided to attempt their dream of running a catering business together.  Since they currently aren't cooking up a storm that often, I'm looking to match their business (Uptown Comfort) with new events.

I'm also checking yet another job wanted section on Craigslist.  There are companies advertising on there that can place you at events all the time, but I am looking for less formal (under the table) arrangements. According to articles on careerbuilder and cnnmoney this is a NO. Apparently I should be focusing my search on one specific field, customizing my cover letter for each new opportunity.  But that didn't work so here I am.
 
I'm not sure I'm up for being a full time waitress just yet.  Even those jobs are hard to come by, especially with all the new college grads out there. It's just a good feeling to actually work now and then, to actually earn money at the end of the day rather than merely being entitled to claim it.
 
So... starving for some cash?  Simply starving?  Suck it up.  Button down.  Bring Tupperware.  I took home enough leftover food to feed fellow unemployed friends and gain back the weight I lost on the recession diet.  But looking on the bright side, my wallet gained some weight too.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could have partook on Friday! I spent my weekend furiously painting my bedroom since i'm moving out next week. Hope I see you soooon my darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one jobless one to another... thanks for the free food! It hit the spot. I know you will find something soon. You are working your ass off and have really inspired me in my search. Thanks for being there as a mentor and most of all a friend.

    mars

    ReplyDelete
  3. i worked for a catering company in college for about a week. i got fired for spilling everything and licking my fingers too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey cara it's Kaela.... don't know if you remember me but i met you on the train back to New York from Jersey a couple months ago. I just read this blog and loved it. I hope you find a job soon but honestly your blogging is fascinating!
    If you are ever bored, I just got a blog too. It's not as personal or interesting as yours, but if you ever feel like checking it out, i'm at thesearchforthesearch.blogspot.com
    Hope to hear more from you soon.

    ReplyDelete